Sunday, November 7, 2010

We, Ours, I and Mine As Related To Marriage

We, Ours, I and Mine As Related To Marriage.

(based on 30+ years of life’s education, probably learned the hard way)

Recently a friend of mine posted on facebook …. “I finally bit the bullet and bought a house.” A few of his friends were quick to congratulate him on facebook. I was glad for him and sent him a note in private. “on your post about buying the house... you used the word 'I'... shouldn't it have been 'we'??? His response, “lol, yes, my wife just scolded me for that!!!”

We
A great word to use. It is always good to use when referring to the two of you on most things. Examples such as we are going on a trip, we just bought a house, and we are going to her parent’s house. It is better to include her whenever possible. One quick exception is when you do something stupid. Try to use the ‘we’ word then and this will be quickly corrected to ‘You’.

Our
Another great word to use. As in our house, our money, and other thing you do or have whether you think them important or not.

I
A word that has to be used with great care. Incorrect use of ‘I’ can be met with quick and sometimes painful consequences. It may be OK to say I just got new golf clubs, however if you spouse places equal value on golf clubs then she should get a pair also and then it would become ‘we’.

Mine
Not much use for this word, unless you’re talking about your underwear… otherwise most things can become ours.

Money
This breaks most rules. If you said that I just got paid, it quickly becomes ours. If she gets paid, then it is hers. Translated she would say that what is mine is ours and what is hers is hers.

Moral Of Above
Be careful with the words that you use for even if you use the words correctly you can be corrected.

As for me, I am sure that my education will continue.

No comments: