Thursday, April 24, 2014

This Weeks Very Short Story: Chapter 3



This Week's Very Short Story:  Chapter Three


When I see a car with a Michigan license here, I have to look to see who they are.... Like I would know who they are. 


I am a lefty, really.   


I don’t think it is acceptable to lie to someone, even if it for the greater good unless you are their parent.  And then again, that probably won’t work out either.  


It was when my son was 8 years old and I was sitting on a bucket catching his pitches that I realized that sitting with my legs spread apart and the pitches hurting my hand, that this was not a good idea.  


My ability to throw a ball accurately is not that great.  If my son did not learn to field the ball well, instead of playing shortstop, catcher and center field, he would have probably ended up on the track or cross country team.   


Since I write very short stories, I guess an autobiography is out of the question.     


When we were young, my brother and I were very wild kids.  Today they have medications for that.   


Part of being a wild young kid was my many trips to the emergency room.  My father could probably drive the route to Beaumont Hospital in his sleep, and probably did.  


My draft number was 52 for my year.  They did not call anyone that year, otherwise I would be telling different stories to different people.   


When I was young and naïve, I used to think that the songs Winter Wonderland and White Christmas were singing about my home state of Michigan.  Now that I am older and experienced, I still feel that way.  


For years, I bowled at night in league and came home smelling like I had been drinking and smoking.  If I was to start bowling again now that they don’t allow smoking at the alleys, my wife would assume that I was cheating on her since I would be coming home not smelling of cigarettes.  


In the early 1970’s I spent a few New Year’s Eve’s with my girlfriend  at the Raven Gallery coffee house in Southfield Michigan listening to live folk music. (Josh White Jr, Ron Coden)  I still spend New Year’s Eve with my girlfriend and my wife does not seem to mind.    



My brother in law is getting his PhD from UCLA and teaches at USC.  When UCLA plays football against USC, he probably watches America's Next Top Model. When they are playing basketball, he’s all in for the North Carolina Tar Heels.  

No comments: