Thursday, March 26, 2015

This Weeks Very Short Story: Chapter 7






This Week's Very Short Story: Chapter 7


I have bowled on many bowling teams.  I don’t remember all the people who were on my teams.  One line up that I remember from Oak Park Lanes was Robert, Neal, Neil, Neal and Archie.   

On one Friday while I was in college and living in the fraternity house, I came back to back to the apartment room and found a sign that my roommates left that said, “Take care of and feed Jeff, we all went home for the weekend”.  Jeff was the dog.  I never did tell them we had a great time as it would have ruined my image.  

For two years, when I lived in the Fraternity house apartment building,  I lived in a basement apartment.  We called it The Pit.  That pretty much explains it.  

Whether it was while golfing or bowling, my father would say that it is not nice to beat the father as I was about to beat him.   

It was during high school that I went with my father to his lawyer and he told the lawyer to list me as the executor of his will.  Way too early for me to comprehend.  

I did not go to my graduation from Michigan State University.  I was driving across the country to my next school in San Francisco California.  

When I was young, the girls would chase me.  It wasn’t until years later that I realized that I should have let them catch me.   

For most of my father’s life, I looked up to him.   He was taller than me.   

Years ago, the son of a friend noticed that quite a few of my dress work shirts had stripes on them and he started calling me “stripey”.  Years later I found him wearing stripe dress shirts to work.  

Most people know that I never have smoked.  Years ago I would tell people that when I would go back to Michigan that I smoked a pack a day.  Why you ask?  So that I would feel like I was home in Los Angeles.  (For those that don’t remember it, Smog.)   

I have a couple of friends that used to smoke.  One time to each of them, I took their cigarette, took a puff and blew the smoke back into their face.  Just because.  

During elementary school, I was on the Safety Patrol.  Aaah, the power of that white belt.   

We took my oldest son on college tours before he graduated from high school.  At the school that he would attend, the tour included the new apartment style dorm rooms, the modern cafeteria and the fitness center.  At the end of the tour, the guide asked if there were any questions.  I asked, when can I move in?   and shorter....
At the end of a college tour with my son they asked if there were any questions.  Mine was when can I move in. 







No comments: