The “Best” of Memories by Robert Binder
(Written for the 1966 6th grade class of Paul L. Best Elementary School and others)
The last time I saw a number of you, was at my Bar Mitzvah in November of 1967. We were already in 8th grade and my parents had moved us to a larger house on the other side of
I remember…. (just in order of remembering, not importance, )
Hot dog luncheons, (hotdog, celery, carrots, milk and that Twinkie), oh wasn’t it great that we could eat at school one day. Did we really go home for lunch the others days?
The paper drives to raise money so that we would be able to go to camp with the class.
The annual fair, playing ring toss to win a cane. You tried to win as many canes as possible. The time I asked a girl to go with me, for which I saved my allowance to buy her something.
Walking a girl home from school, carrying her books.
All those cute little girls, who were probably taller than I was.
Being a safety, that white strap sure made you feel more important.
Cub Scouts, a number of local kids were, we had meetings at homes and some at the school.
6th grade (or 5th) that my brother gave me chicken pox and I could not go to the overnight camp.
Carrying a pocket knife to school.
Carrying a brush (or comb) to brush my hair in my back pocket. I had a great brush with a curved end that I used to comb my hair back when we combed it back and then to the side when that was the style. No need for that anymore.
Puske’s (sp) store that you either rode your bike to or walked to for the penny candy, oh, the flavored bubble gum, the jaw breakers, the wax lips, mustaches, fingers, the candy cigarettes, the small wax bottles filled with sugar water…
The small streets around Puske’s.
Marching in the Best School band for the Memorial Day parade, down Livernois?
Box hockey.
Summer recreation at the school.
Winning 3rd place in the 50 yard dash, not that that was that great, but it meant that there were only 2 faster than me.
Breaking my front tooth playing basketball in gym on the playground in 6th grade.
The PA announcements and the one that we wish we never heard on November 22, 1963 about President Kennedy and that walk home that day.
Those long summers that never seemed to end, staying out as late as you could, playing hide and seek, riding a skate board with metal wheels, only to go home when it turned dark or your mother screamed down the block for you to come home.
Those winters when you got snowed in and did not have to go to school, ice skating on the street or in your back yard.
The streets by my house going away from the school: Rosewood,
Knowing who lived in every house on the block on my side of
The
A few notes about the writer of these memories. As I stated before, we moved to the other side of
No comments:
Post a Comment