In the early 1980’s, one of my guilty pleasures was getting my
car washed. It wasn’t just getting my car washed. At the car
wash, they had a guy who shined shoes. I would sit up on his throne,
watch the cars get washed and the people waiting. I was on top of
the world. It is very hard to do this these days with athletic shoes
though.
Growing up I always liked the
Lincoln Town Car, the one with the suicide doors. Why you ask?
Because, I equated owning one with being rich. There was someone I
knew whose parents had 2 of these cars. Flash forward to the Lincoln
dealership in Beverly Hills, CA. I was looking at a Town Car and my
wife knowing the story, said go ahead and get it. Then within a few
moments later, she said, when am I going to get my van? Well, she
got her van, I never got a Lincoln. For the two weeks that I spent
in Michigan for my 40th high school reunion,
I did rent a Lincoln Town Car. Even cruised it down Woodward Avenue
during the Dream Cruise. Heaven.
Recently it was reported in the
news that an 8th grade boy was charged with
assault when he kissed an 8th grade girl.
She said it was unwelcomed. Well, I was a 10th
grade boy who still loves kissing that 8th
grade girl some 45 years later. I guess you know what my sentence
was.
When my younger son finally
started college in Ohio, I was yelled at by my wife. How could you
let him go so far away she cried out? Funny, I do remember that my
wife was with us as we toured colleges in Michigan and Ohio.
From the stories that I was told,
my father in law Moniek Margulies, was given a bicycle and told to
leave when they knew the German’s were coming in Poland. My
translation is that he was faster than a speeding German. Thank God
for that.
From stories that I was told, my
mother in law Riva Lipenholtz Margulies, was in the part of Poland
where the Russian’s came and invited them to vacation in Siberia.
Baruch HaShem.
It may be hard for some to
believe that to get my younger son to go try out and play baseball,
we had to tell him that his friend Timmy was going to play. One
season and he was hooked. I don’t think that Timmy played that
many years.
After the first year of T-ball, I
knew that my younger son (around 6 years old) had some innate
abilities. When I took him to hit ground balls to him, he started
backhanding the ball. He was also able toss up a ball, all by
himself and then hit it with a bat. Two things I am not sure my
older son could do today.
In high school, I went to a party
with a friend of mine. He drove as I was not old enough to drive.
We went to pick up his girlfriend and her friend. When we got there,
I moved to the back seat and next to me then sat his girlfriend’s
friend who was also her next door neighbor. I still let that girl
sit next to me, sometimes even drive. That is how it all began.
Many years ago I went to a Junior
Detroit Red Wing’s game at the same place where the Red Wings
played. A women a few rows in front of me, caught the puck with her
head, blood everywhere. I have never been to a hockey game since.
It is much safer to watch on TV anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment