Monday, April 6, 2020

This Weeks Very Short Story: Chapter 16


This Week's Very Short Story: Special Edition 
I have a friend that went to the University of Michigan. I went to Michigan State University. He still lives in Michigan. I live in California. We don't talk much. Years ago, I started calling him when Michgan State beat the University of Michigan in football. For years, I did not have to call him very often. Today my wife said, I guess you don't have call him and then this happened. (On the last play of the game, Michigan fumbled, MSU ran it in for a touchdown to win the game.) I called, he didn't answer his phone. 
In high school, my son worked at a music store. One day my son said that Jose Feliciano came into the music store. I asked my son, what kind of a car was he driving? Felix Navidad!
On my birthday, I took care of a group of 3 Board & Care homes in the morning. At the second house , there is a woman whom I have seen for many years. Usually I ask her to sing Bei Mir Bist Du Schon in Yiddish to me. For my birthday, I asked her to sing happy birthday to me. She sang a complete version. I told her that she was the first one to sing happy birthday to me on my birthday. She then fell back to sleep. I doubt that she would remember that I was even there. Not bad for 101 years old. 
As I was listening to the Rabbi read the Ketubah in Hebrew very slowly at my son’s wedding, I started to miss my father in law Moniek Margulies. He was a speed Hebrew reader. 
I was very calm and collected at the beginning of my son’s wedding even with the troubles we had with traveling to Israel. We had never met his bride to be or her parents. Then we got to meet her as she sat to meet people with her wedding dress on prior to the wedding. I then started to cry like a baby.
My cousin has red hair, so did his mother. When I was a child they told me that he was adopted. I found it hard to believe. 
On my father’s side of the family we referred to my aunt as Aunt Ethel. On my father’s sister side of the family they called her Aunt Rusty. I always assumed it was because of her red hair. It was not until later that I found out it was because of her gravelly voice. 
I don't buy lottery tickets, so I can't win. I do have a rule that if they buy tickets at work, then I go in. Why, you don't want to be the one left at work the next day. This happened to a doctor I knew, she did not go in and the office won the lottery. She is probably still working. 

No comments: