As
the youngest and the only remaining sibling of a larger family, my
mother said she was the last of the Mohicans. Guess the tribe is all
together now.
There
is a book call Tuesday’s with Morrie. We had Saturdays with Mom,
especially after my father passed. Almost every Saturday, my wife
and I would go to Moms. For the most part, it was never before 12
noon. For Mom, the day just didn’t begin until after 12 noon. We
would take her to do her shopping, an experience in its self or pick
it up ourselves when she wasn’t up to it. Sometimes we would take
her to get her hair or nails done and out for a late lunch or dinner.
There were occasional outings to a movie, Santa Barbara or Laguna
Beach, less as time went on. It was always an adventure. Saturday’s
will never be the same.
I
don’t read for enjoyment much. The reason is that if I sit that
still for any amount of time its lights out. I don’t remember my
father reading books very much until he retired and then he read
constant. The result usually resulted in him taking a nap or a good
night’s sleep.
As
part of a coed explorer scout group, we did a community service
project in Oak Park, Michigan where we painted an old, at least two
story wood sided house, Climbing up the ladder to scrape and paint
the upper levels was fun, not to say helpful to the older couple that
owned the house. I look back now and I am glad that I have a one
story house.
While
living on Ithaca, the neighbor across the street had a motor speed
boat made of wood. We got to help strip the wood and sand the bottom
so the boat could be refinished to go back in the water. Our pay was
some fresh cucumbers right off the vine. As the oldest, I did get to
drive the boat years later up in the Georgean bay area of Ontario
Canada where they had a cabin. I also got to shoot the 22 rifle and
walk around with a pellet rifle and shoot things. This was the end
of my Davy Crockett days.
No comments:
Post a Comment