Monday, April 6, 2020

This Weeks Very Short Story: Chapter 25


When I was 12 and 13, I went to a Jewish Community Center Day Camp Safari. We would go to different places everyday by bus. Some places like the zoo and Boblo island, anywhere that we could go and return in one day. At the end of the day, if we had time and we behaved we would get to go to Dairy Queen. They would give us about 50 cents to a dollar to spend on anything we wanted. Some of us started buying the largest ice cream for that money, maybe a quart. They soon changed the rule to: you could only buy what you could eat as I guess some didn’t finish what they bought. I’m betting I finished mine. 
At Boblo Island Amusement Park with Camp Safari campers, we had a great time. My favorite was the bumper cars. My last ride that day was to go on a ride; I think was called the Himalaya? It was a ride that started out slow, getting faster as it was going around in circles clockwise with hills and valleys while playing loud music. Half way through the ride they would ask if you wanted to go backwards, of course you had no choice. Well you got it, motion sickness. Not the best when you have to take a boat ride home. The only positive thing was the attention from a number of the girls on the ride home. 
At Paul L. Best elementary school, I started to play the drums. I even marched in the Memorial Day Parade in Ferndale. I even remember taking a class in music theory at Ferndale High School. Ferndale High School had a great marching band. After seventh grade at Lincoln Jr. High School, we moved to the other side of Oak Park. I attended Clinton Jr. High School. The band teacher and I did not hit it off. This is as close as I ever came to telling a teacher what I thought he should do. That was the end of my playing career. 

No comments: