Over
one year ago we went to my youngest son’s wedding. After the
wedding in Pittsburgh, we decided to vacation in New York City. We
stayed in Times Square. Not realizing when we booked it that we
would be there the night of the Presidential Election of 2016. I was
out in Times Square until 3:30am that night. I was expecting a big
party atmosphere with the name of the winner flashing on the big
screen. None of that happened. What did happen was that the big
screens changed during the night from election results back to ads
for Broadway plays. The TV news company that set up in Times Square
went dark, they never went live to the crowd. I have likened it to a
funeral, except I think people are happier at a funeral.
During
the winter when I was in high school, I remember going to Kensington
Park to go tobogganing. Many a good time was had doing this. The
Kensington toboggan runs were great. I loved guiding the toboggan
down the run and purposely making it turn over at the end of the run.
To
keep warm when we went tobogganing or ice skating, most would go get
some hot chocolate. I still don’t drink hot drinks including
coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Then there was me with my Coke. I
would have a cup of chicken soup, if there was a vending machine that
had it. In high school, I do remember one friend bringing some
Southern Comfort.
I
remember in high school going to sleep having not solved a math
equation and then waking up in the middle of the night or morning
with the answer. I know, I was weird. Occasionally, it even happens
with patient problems.
We
were coming home from dinner out after work and a day of local fires
here in California. It was cold and the winds were still blowing.
As my wife ran into the house complaining of the cold, I asked her;
how is it going to be when we move back to Michigan? Her answer
without hesitation was, I probably will be wearing warmer clothes.
No comments:
Post a Comment