My younger son could get out of many things with a smile and
twinkle in his eyes. One time this did not work was when he was
staying with my parents in Las Vegas. He must have done something
wrong and quickly found my mother’s hand on his bottom. After that
day he always behaved around her.
I remember at Lincoln Jr. High
School in Ferndale Michigan that I and some other students were
pushed out of gym class early. The punishment was to bend over and a
swift swat of the gym teacher’s shoe on my back side. I can’t
remember if this was real or a nightmare.
When they finally built a built
in pool at Oak Park High School, I went out for the swim team. I
found out that practice started at 6 a.m. That was the beginning and
ending of my swimming career.
Not being an early morning
person, in college I tried to get my class to start at 9 a.m. and
preferably at 10 a.m. I think I only had one 8 o’clock in
undergrad school. In medical school, they did not give us choices.
During college at Michigan State
University, I hated classes on Tuesday and Thursday’s. Those were
days you went from early in the day to late, sometimes into the
evening. They usually included chemistry labs, physics labs and
biology labs. My last term as a senior my schedule was Monday,
Wednesday and Friday…. Heaven.
I don’t eat fish. I used to say
that I only eat Jewish fish… gefilte fish, lox, smoked fish and
herring. The only two other types of fish I used to eat were tuna
which isn’t really a fish because it comes in a can and McDonalds’s
fish sandwich which can’t necessarily be identified as fish. Now
it just doesn’t happen very often.
One time I went to Santa Cruz,
California for the day with a medical school class mate. Somehow for
dinner I let him order some type of Chinese food with fish. Well, I
go real sick. Not sure if it was from the food or from my first time
in the ocean or from the terrible sunburn that I got before I ate the
Chinese food with fish.
In San Francisco, we lived in
three places in two years. The first place we had to move very
quickly from. No, it wasn’t because we didn’t pay the rent. We
just wanted to not live there when the police released the crazy
neighbor the police had taken away.
In high school, I would sleep
with a hat on to keep my hair straight. My senior picture was taken
with my hair as straight as possible. In my first year at college
that all ended.
Now that I look back at a picture
of myself in college, I can now see why I had trouble convincing
people that I was drug free.
No comments:
Post a Comment