Monday, April 6, 2020

This Weeks Very Short Story: Chapter 26


At Lincoln Jr. High School, they started with language class in 7th grade. I took Spanish as a language. When we moved and I attended Clinton Jr. High School, they didn’t start language class until 8th grade. What were they to do about this as they used the same books that I already finished in 7th grade? I ended up being put in a 9th grade class. In that class was my later to become sister-in-law. 
I took Spanish class in 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade. Taking Spanish in Michigan in those days was interesting because the only people you could speak Spanish with were the few teachers in the school and some waiters at a Spanish restaurant (El Nibble Nook) that we went to on a field trip. 
One of my Spanish teachers in high school was this very cute short woman. She drove a Volkswagen hatchback that we referred to as a pregnant roller skate. I don’t remember how it happened, but we ended up going to a rally at Wayne State University. The speaker was Ralph Nader. I am not sure if this about the environment and cars or was an antiwar rally. There was another male friend that also went. Unlike the stories that you hear about students and teachers today, the only thing that happened was in my imagination. 
At Lincoln Jr. High School, they didn’t have Shop class until 8th grade. I left after 7th grade and at Clinton Jr. High School; they started Shop class in 7th grade. I did not want to take a class with 7th graders. I not sure I remember why. I never did take Shop class, maybe I should have taken Home-Ec. 
When it came to naming my second son, it was a limited choice as there were not many people to name after that had not been used by other family members. He ended up being named after one of my aunts and my mother’s father.
I have only one wish that if I am ever blessed to have grandchildren, that they are not named after me.
I remember the mimeograph paper smell. I couldn’t wait for the teacher to pass out the freshly printed paper. This was the original crack. Don't try to tell me you didn't sniff it. 

No comments: