I
started wearing glasses when I was 3 years old. While still in
elementary school, I learned to play the card game gin rummy with my
next door neighbor. Somehow one time he let it slip that he knew
what cards I had in my hand by looking at my glasses.
I
remember that first trip to the Castro district of San Francisco in
1977 to sign a rental agreement for an apartment. As young newlyweds
we walked down the street hand in hand as though we had entered an
episode of the twilight zone as the couples all looked different that
we did.
My
parents had a poodle that they inherited from my grandmother.
Prince (my grandmother's choice of name) loved me and always showed
me his teeth when I came close to him. I think this started
when I came home first and had to throw Prince out into the snow
while I had to clean up the mess he made going through the garbage
and spreading it though out the house. Oh yeah, there was a
little growl with that smile.
I
am not a pet lover, nor am I a pet hater. In college, I was
doing some research out of the Veterinary Center on a manx cat. I was
invited to go necropsy room to take a section of a cat for research.
What I remember is going into the necropsy room and seeing a cow
splayed open. Next I saw a Lassie dog that had just been put
down, I then walked out, never to go back. I did do my research
with specimens provided to me down in the basement of the veterinary
center on the electron microscope alone.
I
went to college to major in Mathematics and minor in Accounting to
become an accountant. A Fraternity roommate of mine went to
school to become a Veterinarian. We both ended up doing
research on an electron microscope in the basement of the Veterinary
Center. My friend had findings from his research and was able
to get a paper published. My research led nowhere. I
ended up going to Podiatry Medical School; my friend is now an
accountant.
For
the second night of Passover, we went to a friend’s mother’s
house for dinner. Her mother is 92. They had another friend’s
mother there that was 98. All the other people there were older than
me and my wife. I now realize that if we were doing a Seder, my wife
and I would have been the children and my wife would have had to do
the four questions. And no, we did not have to sit at the kids
table.
No comments:
Post a Comment